Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Who are audio books for?

When I was in high school I convinced a friend of mine who wasn't that into reading to try an audio book. She borrowed one from the library but she didn't listen to it. Her mum made her take it back because "the audio books are for deaf people".

According to my friend's mum, I may as well park in a disabled space without a sticker. But that isn't right (I felt that quite strongly at the time but couldn't articulate why). The car parks close to Coles have no capacity to increase, but the number of audio books can.When I borrow an audio book from the library I am increasing the borrowing rate, which makes it more likely that the library will buy more titles, which increases the resource rather than diminishing it. I'm a champion!

The sad thing is that my friend missed out because of her mum's prejudice against audio books. Her attitude is not uncommon. A lot of people think it's lazy to listen to audio books if you can read the book. But the truth is, not everyone enjoys reading. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't like words or stories.

Anyway, I can't read and cook at the same time. I need audio books.



*Update* Of course that should say "the audio books are for blind people". Giving an audio book to a person who is deaf or hearing impaired is just silly and/or mean.



1 comment:

  1. Hear hear. (Ha ha) Audio books are for my dyslexic daughter, because I can't read to her ALL the time.

    ReplyDelete