Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Voices

I've just finished Death at Victoria Dock, a Phyrne Fisher mystery. In my last post I mentioned that I find Phyrne Fisher story tapes extremely reliable. An extra bonus with this one was a recorded conversation at the end between Kerry Greenwood (the author) and Stephanie Daniel (the narrator).

Stephanie Daniel's voice in conversation was very different from her voice as narrator. Stephanie also mentioned that she used her "real voice" as the character of the nun. I'd previously assumed that narrators only put on voices for the characters' dialogue, not for the narration bits.

I now realise that Stepahnie would sound a bit weird speaking like this all the time. If I was chatting to her about an every day topic like the price of milk or Ricky Nixon's disgraceful hair and conduct I would quickly get tired of her slow sentences and perfect diction.

No comments:

Post a Comment