Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The joy of being annoyed

I've just started listening to The Bay by Di Morrissey read by Kate Hood.

I've listened to a couple of other books by Di Morrissey on story tape. I found them extremely irritating. I've chosen to borrow another one because I enjoy being annoyed. It is fun to shout, "No-one describes their own house as a mansion!" or, "Vexed exposition!" or, "I hate you all!"

Unfortunately, I have never been able to convince my partner to join me in this activity at home. Not only does he not enjoy being annoyed by bad story tapes, but he acts like story tapes in general are annoying. (I say "act" because this is clearly not true. Story tapes are great. Everyone loves them because they are so great.)

At the other end of the spectrum, my sister has jumped back on the story tape train and is listening to Salmon Fishing in the Yemen by Paul Torday. She says it is very good. Her partner has been sucked into it too, so she has to wait for him to come home before she can listen to it.

At least I don't have that problem.

1 comment:

  1. As a writer, I have the joy of learning from the good and the annoying stuff I listen to. Though I rarely yell at it, even when I'm home alone;)


    Nice to see another audiobook blogger!

    ReplyDelete