Sunday, December 5, 2010

Story tapes

I have listened to story tapes since I was in Grade Four. Of course they're often not tapes anymore, but audio books will always be story tapes for me.

Story tapes aren't a replacement for reading, I listen to them when I'm doing other things. Like cooking, or folding the washing.
Mary Poppins was on the money: in every job there is to be done there is an element of fun, and for me that fun is often story tapes. Nothing fires me up for a domestic task like knowing I have an entertaining tape to listen to while I work.

At the moment I am listening to Alexander McCall Smith's Love over Scotland read by Hilary Neville. It's the third book in the 44 Scotland Street series. This is ideal material for an audio book. First published as a serial in the Scotsman, the story is episodic by nature and therefore designed to be dipped in and out of.

Yesterday I dipped in for a substantially longer period than usual as I was working on a craft project. I am not craftily talented but I enjoy the odd project. My sister and I are making a Christmas present for our other sister who is overseas.

It's a decorated bra and brief set.


As you can see I have done fabrics, nipple adornments and a snazzle crotch. I will now send this on to my sister in Sydney who will complete the puff paint work.

I probably spent two hours on this yesterday. I would have been completely bored were it not for Love over Scotland, which kept me glued to my craft-gluing seat with its delightful stories of everyday dramatic tensions and thoughtful ruminations on human behavior and psychology. I also think the Edinburgh aspect may have pushed me towards a tartan theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment